- 3-month program, costs covered by Kanbrick
- 3-5 CEOs/owners will be selected
- Requires ~5 hours per week
- Includes 1:1 and collaborative group sessions for shared learning and best practices
IDEAL COMPANY CANDIDATES
- Family or founder-owned
- Based in North America
- Generate $5-50M of EBIT or owner earnings
Business System Diagnostic to assess strengths and opportunities
1:1 Deep Dives with the Kanbrick team to develop an integrated plan
templates and tools
Templates and Tools to support the implementation of key initiatives and processes
Networking with the Kanbrick Community of business leaders and Build Alumni
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
BUILD WITH KANBRICK APPLICATION
FAQs: BUILD WITH KANBRICK
BUILD WITH KANBRICK
Build with Kanbrick is a three-month program designed to help businesses reach their full potential. We’ll select up to five owners and CEOs to participate in each cohort, which begins with a business system diagnostic leveraging the Kanbrick Business System to assess each company’s opportunities. As a participant, you will have access to one-on-one sessions with the Kanbrick team, collaborative group sessions with guest experts, and also templates, tools, and resources focused on growing your business. Build with Kanbrick alumni will also have access to the Kanbrick Community for exclusive content and networking with other executives.
No. All costs are covered by Kanbrick. That said, we are investing time into your and your company’s growth during the program, and in turn each participant should expect to invest around five hours per week.
We’ve seen first-hand the unique challenges midsize businesses face, especially in the current environment. We developed the Build with Kanbrick program based our learnings building and growing great businesses at Berkshire Hathaway, Pampered Chef, and here at Kanbrick. Our goal with the program is to share insights to help position participants’ businesses for the next decade of growth.
As a participant of the program, you will receive a comprehensive business assessment, learn key opportunities for your business, and identify tangible steps to position your business for the long term across the primary areas of people, operating system, operational excellence, and growth. We believe that we can accomplish this together through:
- Business System Diagnostic – We will assess your business through our lens as CEO, CFO, board member, and investor. From our time working with dozens of companies, we will tell you the strengths and opportunities – the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- 1:1 Deep Dives – We work with you individually to identify key areas that you might want to focus on, which may include:
- Laying out a strategic planning process to help build a long-term strategy
- Assessing your human capital strategy and opportunities to improve hiring, development, and retention
- Reviewing KPIs and opportunities to develop metric-driven processes for your leadership team and functional business areas
- Evaluating your company’s purpose and vision and alignment to core company values
- Determining other key focus areas that are important to your company
- Templates and Tools – We have spent 5+ years building the Kanbrick Business System, which is a detailed and integrated way of managing a business. We will share some of our most valued tools and templates to help you in your business.
- Networking – You will have the opportunity to build strong relationships with your fellow cohort members and the Kanbrick team. Additionally, you will have access to the Kanbrick Community – an immediate group of mentors and guest experts to help you with your business. And, upon completion of the program, you will have ongoing access to our Kanbrick Community events and exclusive content.
The Kanbrick Business System (KBS) is our proprietary value-creating playbook developed from our time driving results at a number of companies. KBS is a long-term approach to building a strong foundation, empowering and developing people, and driving growth by delivering for customers. We have a proven track record of delivering meaningful results. There are four key pillars to KBS:
- Operating system: Set a clear strategy and rigorously measure performance
- People: Attract, develop, and engage world-class talent
- Operational Excellence: Improve efficiency to invest in growth
- Growth: Build core and enter attractive adjacencies
Build with Kanbrick alumni will become members of the Kanbrick Community, an intimate group of CEOs and business leaders who we admire, have worked with, and continue to learn from. The Kanbrick Community will also have continued access to exclusive events and content.
We are also members of several business organizations and have benefited tremendously from their accessible networks and high-level sharing of best practices. However, as leaders and operators we know that in order to effect change, you need to have a tangible plan based on your unique business needs. Build with Kanbrick was designed with this mindset.
Whereas traditional business accelerators support startups, the Build with Kanbrick program is uniquely focused on supporting midsize businesses to help position them for growth. As part of the immersive three-month program, we want to work together to identify key areas that drive your organization’s long-term value.
We are looking for great businesses and motivated founders and CEOs who are interested in partnering to grow long term. While we welcome all interested companies to apply, businesses that meet the following criteria will be the ideal candidates:
- Headquartered in North America
- Family- or Founder-owned
- Revenue of $100 to $500 million and EBIT of $5 to $50 million
If you have questions about whether your company would be a good candidate, please reach out to us here.
Applications for the spring cohort are due on February 25, 2022 and the program starts on March 21, 2022 – between these dates we will be reviewing applications and providing feedback to participants.
Tracy Britt Cool and Brian Humphrey are Co-Founders of Kanbrick, an investment partnership focused on buying, building, and growing great companies for the long term. Kanbrick owns Thirty-One Gifts, a provider of bags, gifts, and home décor, and makes 1-2 acquisitions per year.
Prior to co-founding Kanbrick, Britt Cool spent 10 years at Berkshire Hathaway, including 5 years as Financial Assistant to the Chairman and 5 years as CEO of Berkshire Hathaway-owned Pampered Chef. Britt Cool has also served as Chairman of four Berkshire Hathaway companies and on the boards of several public companies. Humphrey began his career as an investor and served as Chief Financial Officer of Pampered Chef. Together, Britt Cool and Humphrey turned around Pampered Chef after a decade of decline, doubling earnings and meaningfully growing sales.
No, there is no investment component to the Build with Kanbrick program. The primary goal of the program is to build strong relationships and add long-term value.
Kanbrick is an investment firm focused on buying, building, and growing great companies for the long term, with a focus on privately-held midmarket businesses in the consumer, industrial, and business services sectors.
We love meeting founders, owners, and CEOs whenever given the chance, and the Build with Kanbrick program ensures that we regularly meet interesting leaders and build meaningful relationships. We also enjoy learning about new industries and the program allows us to see how aspects of our Kanbrick Business System apply to different business models and industries. Lastly, Kanbrick is guided by our purpose of empowering people and organizations to reach their full potential and the program is an extension of our approach to building a strong foundation, empowering people, and driving growth.
Sign up for exclusive Kanbrick content, news, and events